Thursday, November 18, 2010

how did I become such a dance geek?

Doh. I did not get to post yesterday. So, I'm going to have to cheat a bit on my NaBloPoMo and post twice today....

I, myself, do love to dance. What's more I've been thrilled with the extreme success of dance in pop culture today. It's one of the "hot" things right now that I actually think is worthy, recognizing dancers as the incredible artists and talents that they are and bringing them to the forefront when they are most traditionally relegated as a backdrop.

Anyhoo, my current dance phenomenon obsession is The LXD - Legion of Extraordinary Dancers. It's a web-only series on hulu, the most successful one existing. The story is somewhat simplistic: dancers as superheroes and super villains whose power is the dance itself; good vs. evil; recruiting and training of new team members. What makes the series super freaking awesome is the dance. The LXD includes so many genres of dance, from krumping to poi to popping to contemporary to tap. The other thing I love about it is that the series is filled with people of color, both in front of and behind the scenes. I think it could use more women. Regardless, it's a hip hop ballet circus that kicks ass. I can't wait for the next episode!

Here's Season 1, Episode 1 (they are currently in the midst of Season 2, with new episodes released on Wednesdays):

No comments: