Tuesday, April 21, 2009

the happy home office

It's early and I'm sitting here in my new office. Matt and I have been spending the last week or so trying to purge, clean, organize and store some crap in order to switch our office spaces and by doing so create a more workable guest bedroom. After some serious cleansing and negotiating little bits of space, have pretty much accomplished our goals. I must admit IKEA (and their yummy cinnamon roll) comes in handy at these moments.


It's been quite a process and we're nearly there. It reminded us both about how traumatic moving is, but also how exciting it is to make positive change. And that was on just the smallest level of switching two rooms. Needless to say, I'm anxious/thrilled that someday in the near-ish future we'll be shopping for a new home. But, that's a whole other story...

I'm also excited about my cute new business cards. I used some laminate samples I found at SCRAP and printed the text on clear labels, which I stuck on the back.


As someone who works from a home a lot of the time, it's always a challenge to stay tidy, organized, motivated and to keep boundaries. Having a separate space definitely helps. Inspired by my new office digs, I will now share with you some of my home office philosophical insights:

Those who multi-task, stand tall on a pile of paper, binders and notepads.
Warning: a new home office may bring inspired work, prolific blog entries, random acts of crafting and a safe space for screaming.
A good pen, engenders a happy writer.
Containers, containers, containers.
Land lines still sound better than cell phones.
Things to add to the to do list: jiggle your head, relax your shoulders, eat a snack, sing a song, talk a walk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it! Doesn't it feel great?

I myself felt a new rush of pride at my home office space that I revamped last year; my visiting sister (who last came in '06) walked in two days ago and said "Aaaaah! This is so much better!" Better, indeed. Everything may not be a perfect right angles, but there's a deep, friendly order that encourages the brain to function more deeply, more friendly-y!

Marie said...

Home office looks great! Want to come over? Mine needs a makeover.

I love the cards, too. Very cool.

t-love said...

it does feel nice to be sitting here in a good space. marie, i'd love to help you do a home office makeover! there used to be a show on hgtv that i loved called free style where they did a free makeover using stuff you already have in your house. let's do it.

Marie said...

Thanks, Toni! That would be awesome, though I should warn you I need A LOT of help. I'll make dinner as a Thank-you.